A short History
A lazy day today, relaxing in the lodge. So, in lieu of photographs a short history of the house and lodge.
Cairness House, 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Fraserburgh in the County of Aberdeenshire, is a country house in Buchan built in the Neoclassical style. It was constructed between 1791 and 1797 to designs by architect James Playfair and replaced an earlier house of 1781 by Robert Burn, which was in part incorporated into the Playfair scheme. Sir John Soane assisted in the final stages of the construction following Playfair’s death in 1794. The park was laid out by Thomas White, a follower of Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown.
The Pevsner Architectural Guide for Aberdeenshire North and Moray states that “Cairness House, by James Playfair 1791-97, is of international importance as the only house in Britain the design and construction of which reflected and evolved with the rapid advances in French Neoclassicism towards the end of the C18” and that “its survival is the more precious as so many of Playfair’s other designs were either not built or have been lost or altered”.
James Playfair also drew plans for gates and a pair of small lodges for the entrance to the driveway. However, the gates and lodges were not built until 100 years later to celebrate the centenary of Cairness House. The gates, railings and lodges come under a separate Category A listing by Historic Scotland. The pillars on either side of the gates feature a pair of sphinxes
So, now you know